Good Read: The Girl With The Louding Voice - Abi Dare

Image
  In this remarkable story, Adunni, the main character, depicts ambition fuelled with a burning desire to succeed despite all odds. Tales of this type still abound in Lagos, and they are portrayed in the media daily. Adunni is hailed as the poor girl with a rich mind, "Sherlock Holmes," who never stops asking intelligent questions, a child-bride, and a strong-willed girl who grew up fast due to the circumstance her parents put her through. However, she had the guts to pursue the life she wanted. - An education by any means necessary.  Adunni finally got her groove back after reading such an easy book, I could relate to the characters there. the harsh and despicable reality of Lagos till date. I would recommend this book to my friends and would love to see it turned into a film.

When The Stylist Met The Iconic Novelist

CNA 
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is now known for her adages outside the literary circuits. The acclaimed novelist has featured in music, TEDx talks and she is now the darling muse courting the fashion house Dior with her profound statement, "We Should All Be Feminists". 

Adichie was featured recently in London's mid week magazine, stylist in which she spoke at length on her views on feminism, how she handles her critics and more. You can read excerpts after the break.

When The Stylist Met The Iconic Novelist
We Should All Be Feminists is now mandatory reading for Swedish school students and two weeks ago inspired the opening speech at a European Parliament Women’s Economic Empowerment Seminar. Why do you think it continues to strike such a chord?

Because misogyny continues to thrive in the world; because gender inequality continues to exist, and I think that it’s very universal in the way that it speaks to something women all over the world identify with; it gives language to it. I have to say I was surprised by it – I didn’t think that it would have much of a reach when I gave that talk.

You design a lot of your own clothes but which designers do you like?

I’ve started really paying attention to Nigerian designers, because there’s so much talent in Nigeria. I just wore a young woman from Abuja whose label is called Style Temple and... I need to show you a picture of this dress I wore [scrolls through her phone to a shot of her in an amazing shirt dress] and when I sent it to my family, they were like, “What the hell is going on with the sleeves!”

For more, read the Stylist


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Pastor Of Breast and Honey Harvest International Church Exposed On Radio

Oga I Beg!!! Impostor Nabbed In Nigeria's Army Outfit