Good Read: The Girl With The Louding Voice - Abi Dare

Image
  In this remarkable story, Adunni, the main character, depicts ambition fuelled with a burning desire to succeed despite all odds. Tales of this type still abound in Lagos, and they are portrayed in the media daily. Adunni is hailed as the poor girl with a rich mind, "Sherlock Holmes," who never stops asking intelligent questions, a child-bride, and a strong-willed girl who grew up fast due to the circumstance her parents put her through. However, she had the guts to pursue the life she wanted. - An education by any means necessary.  Adunni finally got her groove back after reading such an easy book, I could relate to the characters there. the harsh and despicable reality of Lagos till date. I would recommend this book to my friends and would love to see it turned into a film.

Silence, Stigma & Mental Health

I wrote an article once on this in terms of men and the stigma of mental health, but I decided to delete it. I have decided to write it once more because of the issues that has been happening lately. Wives stabbing their lovers, men thinking of committing suicide because of health issues affecting their lives. And of recent, a friend told me of someone we all knew who is now been hospitalised and we all knew nothing about it. Why?

The Late Bob Hoskins in the BT advert, said "It is good to talk," about what? you might ask me, health, wealth, love or what exactly about one's life should we disclose to others? I don't want to bother you with my own issues, so I will keep myself to myself, you might say, but you've forgotten that the same people you do not want to talk to might be the same people who would actually care for you in times of need. I know people might even avoid you because they can not deal with what you are going through, that is OK as long as there is someone who understands you at that point in time, and is willing and able to help. I call them "guardian angels." They do not have to be family or relatives.

The government has in many instances provided support with cases on mental health. Click here to find out the list of mental health organisations. It is time to break the silence concerning this issue, little things do make a big difference. If you know there is someone who has mental health issue, there are simple ways you can assist them, or you can alert the authorities to come to their aid. There is nothing to be ashamed about, health is wealth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Pastor Of Breast and Honey Harvest International Church Exposed On Radio

Oga I Beg!!! Impostor Nabbed In Nigeria's Army Outfit