Good Read: The Girl With The Louding Voice - Abi Dare

Image
  In this remarkable story, Adunni, the main character, depicts ambition fuelled with a burning desire to succeed despite all odds. Tales of this type still abound in Lagos, and they are portrayed in the media daily. Adunni is hailed as the poor girl with a rich mind, "Sherlock Holmes," who never stops asking intelligent questions, a child-bride, and a strong-willed girl who grew up fast due to the circumstance her parents put her through. However, she had the guts to pursue the life she wanted. - An education by any means necessary.  Adunni finally got her groove back after reading such an easy book, I could relate to the characters there. the harsh and despicable reality of Lagos till date. I would recommend this book to my friends and would love to see it turned into a film.

I Will Continue To Be Grateful To God - IBB At 74

IBB @ 74
As Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (IBB), ex-president of Nigeria from August 27, 1985 – August 27, 1993, marks his 74th birthday today, he granted an exclusive interview with Vanguard's journalist, Wole Mosadomi where he opened up about his indigene status, life at 74, and the state of affairs in Nigeria at present. Excerpts from the interview can be read after jump.

The Ogbomosho Native Rumours:
I appreciate your concern. I had to answer the question way back in November 1962. I answered the question during my final year in secondary school when I had to answer that question and 52 years later, I am glad I am answering the same question.
The truth is that I hail from here, Niger State. My parents were from between Wushishi and this town (Minna). My grandparents travelled to settle down here and I think that that says it all but there is nothing wrong in being from any part of the country. The truth is that I hail from Niger State.
Facing life at 74:
So it is a matter of believing that no matter what happens, either good or bad, nothing happens without the approval of Allah. I am grateful to God for sparing my life up to this time despite what we went through. Those who participated in combat will say the same. God has kept me and I remain grateful to Him and grateful to you all for your support.
Don’t you think that it is necessary to have a body of elder-statesmen to proffer advice to successive administrations especially given the situation Nigerians found themselves after the recent transition?
Fighting against Boko Haram insurgency:
it was thought that the insurgents had been routed at the end of the Jonathan administration. So, what do you think may have happened that gave them fire as President came on board?
I think there is a general misunderstanding of the whole concept of insurgency. You can call it anything, instability, terrorism. The fact is that we are not fighting a regular army where you can confront them with sheer use of force and weapons to overwhelm the enemy.
No, we have gotten a small trained army whose tactics is to inflict maximum casualty on his so-called enemy, inflict casualty on him when and where he least expects it. The army is not fighting a conventional war and that makes it exceptionally difficult. They blow out bridges, they go as far as blowing up barracks. This is an unconventional war. I think the soldiers are trained for it and they know this is the sort of thing they do. I think the public should be educated about this unconventional war.

Source: Vanguard  for a full read on the interview.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Pastor Of Breast and Honey Harvest International Church Exposed On Radio

Oga I Beg!!! Impostor Nabbed In Nigeria's Army Outfit